I changed it up to keep it local and also used a Dutch oven instead of a crock pot.
- 1 pound of pork ribs from Grayledge Farm (now back to Ox Hollow)
- 5 smallish carrots from Sport Hill Farm
- 1/2 celeriac, cubed, from Riverbank Farm
- 3 small purple potatoes from Fort Hill Farm
- 3 small Bermuda onions from Holbrook Farm
- 1 head of cabbage, chopped, from Sport Hill Farm
- 3 Tablespoons of honey from Woodbury Sugar Shed
- 1/3 dried cayenne pepper, from my garden
- 2 cups chicken bone broth, made from Stone Gardens Farm chicken
- 2 cups roasted San Marzano tomatoes, from Sport Hill Farm
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- fresh-ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
I cooked it in the oven in a covered Dutch oven for one hour at 325ºF and six more hours at 200ºF.
The sweet and heat give it a unique flavor depth, but you can still taste the individual ingredients. Even if I don’t win the contest, I still win because this is a healthy soup made from excellent ingredients from exceptional farms.