This was an interesting year for agriculture, to say the least. Still, our farmers and producers were able to pull it off. Here’s our Thanksgiving 2011 feast:
- Chilled Roasted Golden Beets from Fort Hill Farm
- Spicy Icebox Pickled Carrots from my 2010 canning adventure
- Roasted Red Peppers Maple Bank Farm
- Assorted Cheeses: Pleasant Cow, Pleasant Valley, & Fresh Cheese from Sankow’s Beaver Brook, Goat’s milk Ricotta Salade from Beltane Farm, Provolone from Italy
- Crudites: Carrots from Holbrook Farm, fennel from Migliorelli Farm, broccoli from Stone Gardens Farm
- Vegetable Dip. Yogurt from Arethusa Farm Dairy seasoned with Zukay cucumber mint salad dressing
- Three Sisters Salad/Dip. Cranberry beans from Don Taylor Farms, Danbury, CT, corn niblets and butternut squash from Sport Hill Farm
- Table Crackers and Cornmeal Crackers from Wild Hive Farm and Micro Mill
- Other Crackers & Bread. Not local
Chicken soup with bowtie pasta or brown rice. Broth made from chickens from Stone Gardens Farm, Stuarts Family Farm, and Laurel Ridge Farm. Onions and carrots from Holbrook Farm, celeriac from Yale Farm, parsnips from Don Taylor Farm, Danbury, CT and Migliorelli Farm, and my own garlic. Pasta and rice: not local.
- Roasted Turkey from Quattro Game Farm
- Pan Gravy from the natural juices of the bird, flour from Wild Hive
- Cornbread Stuffing. Butter and heavy cream from Smyth’s Trinity Farm, onions from Holbrook Farm, and my own sage and chicken stock. Cornbread made from Wheat flour and corn meal from Wild Hive, maple syrup from Bluestone Farm (the last of the 2010 vintage), eggs from Greyledge Farm, milk from Stone Wall Dairy, Cornwall Bridge, CT. Baking powder, salt, safflower oil: not local
- Whole-Berry Cranberry Sauce. Cranberries brought by a friend from a farm stand in Cape Cod, MA, maple syrup from McLaughlin Vineyards, apple cider from Lyman Orchards. Cinnamon stick: not local
- Applesauce made from assorted apples from Maple Bank Farm, Waldingfield Farm, and Rogers Orchards.
- Mashed Potatoes made from potatoes from Riverbank Farm, butter from Smith’s Trinity Farm, sour cream from Hudson Valley Fresh, Poughkeepsie, NY
- Baked Sweet Potatoes from Sport Hill Farm
- Roasted Butternut Squash. Squash from Sport Hill Farm. Olive oil and cinnamon: not local
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts from Stone Gardens Farm
- Sautéed Swiss Chard from Waldingfield Farm
- Apple Pie: Northern Spy apples from Maple Bank Farm, pastry flour from Wild Hive, butter from Smyth’s Trinity Farm. Sugar and other spices: not local
- Pumpkin Pie: Kuri Squash from Maple Bank Farm, eggs from Greyledge Farm, pastry flour from Wild Hive, butter and heavy cream from Smyth’s Trinity Farm, maple syrup from McLaughlin Vineyards
spices: not local.
- Fresh Whipped Cream: Heavy cream from Smyth’s Trinity Farm Vanilla and sugar: not local
- Campfire, Black Raspberry, and Vanilla Ice Cream Ferris Acres Creamery
- Lemon Sorbet: Homemade from non-local ingredients
- Fresh Fruit Basket: Not local
- Mixed Nuts: Not local
- Figs: Not local
- Roasted Chestnuts: Woodbury, CT via New Morning
- Coffee, Tea: Not local
- Apple Cider: Lyman Orchards
- Egg Nog: Smith’s Trinity Farm
- Soda: Assorted flavors from Foxon Park. Pellegrino: not local
- Red Wine: Cabernet Franc from Hopkins Vineyard
- Beer: XLimited from Cavalry Brewing Company and Vixen from Sam Adams
Thank you to my family for their help in making this a fabulous day!
Hope you all had a happy Thanksgiving.