I define my foodshed as a 100-mile radius from my home (just east of Danbury, CT).
- Eagle Wood Farms, Barkhamsted, CT (beef and pork)
- Herondale Farm, Ancramdale, NY (organic and grass-fed beef, pork and chicken)
- Laurel Ridge Farm, Litchfield, CT (grass fed beef, pork, chickens, raised using the Salatin method)
- Ox Hollow Farm, Roxbury, CT (pasture fed beef, pork, chicken, and eggs)
- Rowland Farm, Oxford, CT (Birkshire pigs)
- Sepe Farm, Sandy Hook, CT (lamb)
- Stuarts Family Farm, Bridgewater, CT (grass-fed beef, chicken, and pork)
- CT DOAG listing of CT meat producers
Fruits & Vegetables (in addition to the various Farmers Markets below)
- Averill Farm, Washington Depot, CT
- Beardsley’s Cider Mill & Orchard, Shelton, CT
- Blue Jay Orchards, Bethel, CT (apples)
- Cherry Grove Farm, 60 Platts Hill Road, Newtown, CT (organic)
- Daffodil Hill Growers, Southbury, CT
- Fort Hill Farm, New Milford, CT (organic)
- Holbrook Farm, Bethel, CT (organic)
(also has meats, baked goods, dairy, and many other items at the farm stand)
- Maple Bank Farm, Roxbury, CT
- Migliorelli Farm, Tivoli, NY
- Riverbank Farm, Roxbury, CT (organic)
- Shortts Farm, Sandy Hook, CT (organic)
- Silverman’s Farm, an orchard in Easton, CT
- Sport Hill Farm, Easton, CT (organic)
- Stone Gardens Farm, Shelton, CT
- Waldingfield Farm, Washington, CT (organic)
- Wild Carrot Farm, Canton, CT (organic)
- Arethusa Farm Dairy, Litchfield, CT (pasteurized milk, half and half, yogurt, ice cream, sour cream, heavy cream)
- Beltane Farm, Lebanon, CT (goat cheese)
- Cato Corner Farm, Colchester, CT (raw milk cheeses)
- Deerfield Farm, Durham, CT (raw milk, yogurt)
- Ferris Acres Creamery, Newtown, CT (ice cream from their own Holsteins)
- Foxfire Farm, 85 South Bedlam Road, Mansfield Center, CT 06250, (860) 455-0739 (raw milk)
- Ladies of Levita Road, Lebanon, CT (fresh cheeses, yogurt, pasteurized milk)
- New Pond Farm, West Redding, CT (pasteurized creamline milk, cheese)
- Rich Farm, Oxford, CT (raw milk is theirs, milk and cream for ice cream is from another vendor)
- Ronnybrook Farm Dairy, Ancramdale, NY (butter, creme fraiche, pasteurized milk)
- Sankow’s Beaver Brook, Lyme, CT (cheese and also lamb, veal, yogurt)
- Sprout Creek Farm, Poughkeepsie, NY (cheese)
- Smyth’s Trinity Farm, Enfield, CT (pasteurized milk, egg nog, butter, yogurt, heavy cream)
- Stone Wall Dairy Farm, Cornwall Bridge, CT (raw milk)
Grains & Beans
- Bantam Bread Company, Litchfield, CT
- Cayuga Pure Organics in Brooktondale, NY. (They’re about 170 miles from me but it is the closest source of some varieties of dry beans I have found so far. Distance notwithstanding, this is exactly the kind of farm from which I want to source my food.)
- Wave Hill Breads, Wilton, CT (not local grains, but local artisans—possibly the best bread in CT)
- Wild Hive Farm and Micro Mill, Clinton Corners, NY (wheat, oats, corn from Lightning Tree Farm in Millbrook, NY) and a variety of other items from local growers in season.
- Bluestone Farm, Brewster, NY (seedlings, seeds, maple syrup, hot sauce, honey, taste-test-treats)
- Earth Tones, Woodbury, CT (native plants nursery)
- Goatboy Soap, New Milford, CT (soap made from goats milk and occasionally, the best fudge you’ll ever have.)
- Maple Row Tree Farm (local Christmas trees)
- McLaughlin Vineyards, Sandy Hook, CT (besides wine, there’s maple syrup, eggs, cheese and other interesting items)
- Stoneledge Hollow Farm, Southbury, CT (jams, herbs, squashes)
- Bethel Farmers Market, 67 Stony Hill Road, Bethel, CT
2012: Saturdays, from June – Oct, 9 AM-1 PM
- Brewster Farmers Market, 208 East Main St, (junction Routes 22 & 6) Brewster, NY
2012: Wednesdays & Saturdays, 9 AM–2 PM, June – November
- CitySeed Farmers Market, Wooster Square, New Haven, CT,
Saturdays, 9 AM-1 PM
- Coventry Regional Farmers Market, at the Nathan Hale Homestead, Coventry, CT
2012: Sundays, 11 AM-2 PM
Note: It’s a bit of a drive from here, but well worth it.
- Gossetts Farm Market, South Salem, NY
2012: Saturdays, 9 AM to 1 PM (year round)
- Greenfield Hill Grange Market, 1873 Hillside Road, Fairfield, CT (Indoor market)
2012: closed for the summer
- Litchfield Hills Farm Fresh Market, Litchfield Center School Parking Lot, Litchfield, CT
2012: Saturdays, beginning June 6, 10 AM to 1 PM
- New Milford Farmers Market, Town Green, Main Street, New Milford, CT
2012: Saturdays, May 12 – Nov 17, 9 AM – 12 PM
- Norfield Grange Indoor Winter Farmers Market, Weston, CT.
2012: closed for the summer
- Sandy Hook Organic Farmers Market, Fairfield Hills Campus at Wasserman Way, Newtown, CT
2012: Tuesdays, June 19 – Oct 18, 2 PM – 6 PM
- Westport Farmers Market, at Imperial Ave. commuter lot, Westport, CT
2012: Thursdays, 10 AM to 2 PM
- Find More Markets:
CT DOAG (2012 listings of certified farmers markets, PDF file)
FarmFresh winter market map
Retail Foods Stores with Local Foods
- Artisan Made, Northeast, Southbury, CT
- Butcher’s Best Market, Newtown, CT (inside the Newtown Deli)
- Chamomile Natural Foods, Danbury, CT
- McEnroe Organic Farm and Market, Millerton, NY
- New Morning Natural Foods, Woodbury, CT
- Saugatuck Craft Butchery, Westport, CT
Restaurants Serving Local Food
- Boxcar Cantina, Greenwich, CT
- Carol Peck’s Good News Cafe, Woodbury, CT
- Caseus Cheese Truck, New Haven, CT
- Claire’s Corner Copia, New Haven, CT
- The Dressing Room, Westport, CT
- The Inn at Newtown, Newtown, CT
- LeFarm, Westport, CT
- Paci, Southport, CT
- Sal e Pepe, Newtown, CT
Local Food Search Sites
- Eat Well Guide – Search for local foods by entering a zip code and mileage.
- Connecticut Farm Map – The online companion to the paper map.
- BuyCTGrown – Search by item, zip code, and mileage.
- Eat Wild – Find pastured food products.
- CT Northeast Organic Farming Association Farms – With links to Farmers Market information and Farm & Food Guide.
- Local Harvest – Search for organic and sustainable foods.
- Pick Your Own – Search for pick-your-own farms.
- CT Farm Fresh – CT crop calendar and farmers market locator.
- Connecticut Wine Trail – Information about the wineries on the CT wine trail
- Farm & Food A New York resource.
- Where to find raw milk
- CT NOFA Farm and Food Guide Google Map (this is awesome!)